September 27, 2005

Congress, I Did A Heck of a Job.

I have not been writing here at KIAV for a bit. My apologies if you are rabidly missing my brilliant analyses of the world in which we live. Where to start?

  • Former FEMA chief Brownie told Congress today that he did a heck of a job. In fact, here's what he actually said: ""I know what I'm doing, and I think I do a pretty darn good job at it." What a shameless dillhole.


  • John Roberts will be Chief Justice of the United States soon, and he ought to be. The man is so obviously brilliant and qualified for the post that the only thing the Democrats have at their disposal is partisan stick-poking. We were right to oppose Bork, the man who made Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre possible. We were right to raise our eyebrows at Clarence Thomas when charges were leveled that he was kind of creepy. I am convinced, though, that Roberts is the real deal, and that he will be an excellent Chief Justice. This was a good pick.


  • Surprised?

  • Meanwhile, this site recently praised George W. Bush for the happy announcement regarding North Korea's capitulation. That was before I'd read this analysis by Lai I-chung of Taipei Times. According to this writer, the United States just didn't play the fourth round of talks very well.


  • No, I did not venture into downtown D.C. last weekend. I have many excuses, mainly that I have just recently turned 37 years old and figured I would leave it to the kids. However, I cannot help but join the rest of my lefty kindred with a schadenfreudeish guffaw at the turnout for ours and the turnout for theirs. 400? 400? I know people who have married more people than that. Suffice it to say that I am happy to see that the task of supporting the Dirty Big War is becoming a more lonely job every day.


  • And, now we get to today's primary example of why credibility is such an important commodity to a president of the United States. President Bush addressed the issue of energy yesterday. "We can all pitch in by using—by being better conservers of energy," he stammered. "I mean, people just need to recognize that the storms have caused disruption and that if they're able to maybe not drive when they—on a trip that's not essential, that would be helpful."


  • This is a nice thought and all. But hasn't energy been a problem for the United States since I was eight years old? At least? This administration has nodded its head at energy conservation, but I'm frankly with columnist Thomas Friedman, who wrote that if Bush wants to make anything of the rest of his presidency, he'll make energy independence "the moon shot of our generation."

  • Christ, it doesn't stop, does it? Bush has just certified that Saudi Arabia is cooperating in the "'war' on 'terrorism'". Feh.


  • Finally: I am having second thoughts about my enthusiasm about a Hillary run. Russ Feingold is looking like a better candidate to me these days. He might be the only Democrat who can successfully run opposing the war in Iraq, since he actually voted against the resolution. None of that "I voted against it before I voted for it" crap.

No comments: